Exploring Orthodoxy: A day to explore Orthodox Christian spirituality
August 26 @ 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM UTC+10
‘Exploring Orthodoxy’ is an open day and conference wrapped into one.
The Good Shepherd Orthodox Church is hosting this event, which is open to the public, parishioners and students. A range of presenters will speak on various aspects of Orthodox spirituality, icon preparation will be demonstrated and resources will be available for purchase. Children will be catered for with a program of craft, games and story time. A light lunch and refreshments will be served.
Whatever your background and experience or inexperience of Orthodoxy, it is our prayer that this ‘day to explore Orthodox Christian spirituality’ within the environment of our English-speaking parish in Melbourne will:
- Open your mind to the ancient treasures which are to the discovered in the Orthodox Church
- Provide an opportunity for you to experience the Divine Liturgy (if you have not already) and learn more about it, in a welcoming atmosphere
- Give you a clear understanding of what the Orthodox Church believes and does
- Explain Orthodox spirituality, in particular, prayer and the holy mysteries (sacraments)
- Inspire you to become part of or continue supporting the vision for sharing Orthodoxy in English
- Encourage you to continue your exploration of the Orthodox Christian faith
In addition to the church services and presentations, there will be opportunities to meet other explorers, eat together, view icon preparation and purchase books, icons and gifts.
The main event is on Sunday 26th August. An evening dinner on Saturday 25th August will be held if there is sufficient interest; no registration fee, but participants will need to pay for their own meal.
Where can I find the program for the event?
Visit our website for the program and information about the presenters: https://www.thegoodshepherd.org.au/exploring-orthodoxy
Are there minimum age requirements to enter the event?
This is a family-friendly event. After lunch, a program for primary-aged children will be available. Younger and older children may attend the presentations with their parents or caregivers.
What are my transport/parking options for getting to and from the event?
- Parking at Monash University: Parking is free on weekends. Please take note of all signs regarding Loading Zones, No Standing and Disabled Parking as the restrictions do apply and are enforced on weekends.
- Public transport to Monash University:
- From Huntingdale Train Station, walk to the Huntingdale Bus Station and catch routes 601 or 900 to Monash University, Wellington Road.
- From Blackburn Train Station, walk to the Blackburn Bus Station and catch route 703 to Monash University, Wellington Road.
- After alighting from the bus at Wellington Road, walk to the Religious Centre at 38 Exhibition Walk within the University (view map on our website).
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?